Re: Multiple SMTP accounts with smtpmail.el

From: Vijay Lakshminarayanan
Subject: Re: Multiple SMTP accounts with smtpmail.el
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 22:11:37 +0530

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> We used to have an entirely in-elisp way, but then it got removed.  If
> the same way came back, that would be fine; if a different way were
> implemented, that would also be fine.  As long as the NEWS file
> describes the situation accurately, people will eventually recover.

I see a lot of you discussing the removal of these variables from the
latest-greatest smtpmail.el and I even see some references to it being
accidental.  I could not find any comments in the file that explained
why the old behavior was changed but it seems that everyone is unhappy
with the change.  (Everyone is probably too strong but I haven't seen
anyone defend these changes.)

Since all changes are discussed on this mailing list, could someone give
me a reference to why the changes occurred and what's wrong with the
scheme as it was?

> I have a mild preference for the old way (`smtpmail-auth-credentials')
> just because it's familiar, but the emphasis is on "mild".

I'm still on the "old" scheme that's available with "GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1
(i386-mingw-nt6.0.6002) of 2011-06-20 on 3249CTO" and I *really like
it*, I have a hook for selecting authentication that actually works and
so on.  So any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

--
Cheers
~vijay

Gnus should be more complicated.