Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 21:14:28 +0200

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:24:56 +0200
Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> I think I've gathered as much from the fact that the bug is still
>> unfixed. Which is precisely why I used this precious opportunity to
>> point out that there might be more reasons. So now there's also the fact
>> that using the face for this seems like a kludge to Eli (and possibly
>> others? certainly me included) and gets in the way of other unrelated
>> code (or at least makes certain "obvious" solutions "non-obvious").
>
> Actually, changing it so that another property is added to delimit the
> text wouldn't solve your problem: the mouse-face property would
> still also be added and would hence still interfere with your use.

I don't think so. As explained in the bug thread, the problem for me is
that custom text properties (specifically mouse-face in my case) added
to the completion annotations are clobbered. I don't care about the face
of the completion items (although I'd argue they should respect user
additions as well). The argument you raised against not clobbering the
annotations additions and thus allowing face like mouse-face for them
was that the completions code would get confused, because that property
is used to delimit completion items. This argument would disappear if
that was fixed and a separate (non-face) property was used instead.

--
Štěpán