Re: Killing a frame sometimes kills emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Killing a frame sometimes kills emacs
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 13:09:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Eli,

> I think the crash is not the real problem here.  The real problem here
> is that Emacs "thinks" there's only one frame on that display, so it
> is about to close the only display it has.

I'm happy to announce that now I'm able to reproduce the crash.  It
happens only if an emacs frame is opened for a file by the chromium web
browser.

For example, clicking "Export to BibTeX..." at

  http://www.citeulike.org/bibtex_options/user/azwinkau/article/6095606

will download some *.bib text file, and because emacsclient -c is set as
default command for most text mime types, it will be invoked "somehow".

When I invoke emacsclient from a terminal, or double-click a file in
GNOME3's Nautilus, deleting that frame won't crash emacs.  And neither
does "gvfs-open some-file.txt".  So it seems, chromium is doing
something very special here...

Attached are some backtraces from different crashes, all with
unoptimized builds.  I've produced one for each possibility to delete a
frame (X knob, C-x #, C-x 5 0).

Bye,
Tassilo