Re: A few Windows build fixes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A few Windows build fixes
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 17:14:24 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 08:48:27 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> >> similar function in ntlib, because lib-src programs will need to use
> >> it as well (see the example with emacsclient posted here).
>
> I don't think so.  E.g. emacsclient doesn't need to know about those
> things, because it should just pass its arguments untouched to server.el
> which can then do whatever it feels like doing with it, including
> un-cygwinize file names.

emacsclient already leaves alone any file name that begins with a
slash, so the observation that it does something with /cygdrive/x/foo
file names needs more info to understand why that happens.

But in general, it is my experience that if several programs pass file
names between them, any "magic" file names should be handled in the
same way by all of them.  Otherwise, the solution will never be
reliable enough.