Re: Random idea: Debugging `quit'

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Random idea: Debugging `quit'
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 08:28:18 +0900

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

 > Yes, but could the `C-g' handler then check the prefix, and see whether
 > anything is in there?  I'm assuming that Emacs would know at that point
 > (since it's already parsed its way to the `C-g' in the input stream),
 > which may be a totally wrong assumption, of course.  :-)

It is a wrong assumption for XEmacs, at least.  XEmacs checks the
incoming event for C-g at the time of queueing the event for later
processing by XEmacs.  The only "parsing" of events at that level is
into "quit events" and "non-quit events".

I suspect Emacs does the same.  In theory one could force parsing of
the queue, somehow disabling "undesirable" actions, but this would be
fragile since commands in the queue could install keymaps etc which
changes the interpretation of the event stream.