Re: display-buffer-overriding-action

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: display-buffer-overriding-action
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:55:51 -0400

> The new display-buffer design seems to work OK, but one aspect of it is
> still bugging me: do we really need display-buffer-overriding-action?

I think so, yes.

> If memory serves, the original idea was to allow the user to easily
> impose options to override the ACTION argument to display-buffer,
> applying to all buffers (unlike display-buffer-alist).  Such an option
> might include the choice of window to reuse (currently not implemented).

No, the override-action is so the user can dynamically override even his
own settings.  E.g. C-x 5 b should override a user's own settings of
"same-window" for that buffer (after all, that's why he used C-x
5 b rather than C-x b).

So it's meant to be let-bound or set temporarily (the "set temporarily"
is for the case where we implement a new (prefix) command to bind to
keys like C-x 5 or C-x 4).

        Stefan