Re: ChangeLogs in the elpa branch

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs in the elpa branch
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:49:33 -0500

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:52:24 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I find them useful and "bzr log" doesn't always work as well as plain
>> text comments.  For instance it's much harder to go back and edit a
>> published VCS log than a ChangeLog file.

SM> They each have their advantage and inconvenients, but they're not
SM> sufficient to justify keeping both.  So for the "edit the VCS log",
SM> you'll want to file a feature request with the Bazaar guys (or rather,
SM> add your voice to the existing bug number).

I'd rather edit a file and append commit messages to the VCS log :)
That's why I think the ChangeLog should be in the file.

>> `C-x 4 a' would need a parallel command to edit the built-in ChangeLog.

SM> Yes, C-x 4 a will need work so it's useful even without a ChangeLog.
SM> Maybe a simple way to do that is to have *VC-Log* save itself into
SM> a .changelog file which gets auto-removed upon commit, and then have C-x
SM> 4 use/create such a .changelog file (at the root of the checkout) if there's
SM> no ChangeLog.  This has been discussed already in the past, but there
SM> hasn't been any progress, so I hope this change to `elpa' will be
SM> a motivating factor.

I see what you mean.  So you really want to move all commit messages to
the VCS log, not just remove ChangeLog files per se.  OK, I think if
it's pushed in a solid way as you've done with ELPA it's a great idea.
The people that need editable ChangeLogs will use inline commentaries or
whatever.  Having a single source of commit messages will be a good
thing and I take back any objections I may have had :)

Ted