Re: --with-wide-int

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: --with-wide-int
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:26:36 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > But these files are less likely to fall in the 512MB-2GB window, in my
 > experience.

In my experience, when I proposed making XEmacs internal character
objects 31-bit and integers 30-bit (this was back in the days before
ISO 10646 agreed to cap the size of character codes at 17*65536),
there was vociferous opposition from 3 or 4 core developers who were
viewing such log files "regularly".  (Note that our 31-bit integer
limits you to 1GB because it's signed, so the window was smaller.
Still, "many" people wanted that extra bit badly.)

 > [ Also, you can much more easily work around the 512MB limit for
 > those files e.g. by grepping them first].

That's what I said.  They disagreed, saying the was not a practical
alternative in their usage.

Note also that it's almost trivial to work around the limit for RMail
files, just split the thing at a message boundary.