Re: Updating copyright years

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Updating copyright years
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:14:15 -0500

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

> Emacs people seem to have been updating it at the beginning of
> every year regardless of having been changed or not.

Emacs has done it this way for several years, as documented in
admin/notes and as recommended in "Information for Maintainers of GNU
Software":

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Copyright-Notices

    To update the list of year numbers, add each year in which you have
    made nontrivial changes to the package. (Here we assume you're using
    a publicly accessible revision control server, so that every
    revision installed is also immediately and automatically published.)
    When you add the new year, it is not required to keep track of which
    files have seen significant changes in the new year and which have
    not. It is recommended and simpler to add the new year to all files
    in the package, and be done with it for the rest of the year.