Re: lexical-binding rationale?

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Re: lexical-binding rationale?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:50:33 -0500

on Thu Jan 12 2012, Alan Mackenzie <acm-AT-muc.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:47:35AM -0500, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>
> Request for clarification:
>
>> I'm sure this has been discussed to death, so please feel free to
>> respond with a link, but... can anyone point me to a rationale for
>> dynamically altering such a fundamental language behavior on the basis
>> of a variable's value?
>
> What, exactly does "dynamically altering" mean?

Sorry, that's a very dangerous term developed in secret at the
U.S. Department of Redundancy Department.

Let's just say, "altering"

> What is the "fundamental language behaviour" which is being/to be
> dynamically altered.
> What precise relationship has been abstracted to "on the basis of"?
> Which "variable's value" is meant here.

My understanding is that Emacs is using a buffer-local variable called
`lexical-binding' to determine whether variable bindings shall be
dynamic or lexical.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing