Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 08:06:06 -0500

AM> So far I've been at it about 1½ hours and got nowhere.  I tried setting
AM> LC_ALL (to en_UK.utf8), but haven't got `setupcon'.  So I tried Gentoo's
AM> way,

Terminus likely is the best font to use on the console for utf8:

    media-fonts/terminus-font with the default USE flags will work well.

In /etc/conf.d/consolefont set the consolefont variable.  I use:

    consolefont="ter-v20b"

the v stands for utf8, 20 is a 10x20 pixel font, b is bold (use n for
single pixel wide stems, b for two pixel wide stems).

I do not set consoletranslation or unicodemap in that file.

Set unicode="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.

The default /etc/env.d/02locale is:

LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"

You may want to add LANG=en_UK.UTF-8 to that.  Or add it to your $HOME
shell startup script.  I'd leave the two LC_ settings, though.  They
are important for portage.

You might want to set dumpkeys_charset in /etc/conf.d/keymaps.  The
comment explains it.

For that keymap config in that file, I find that emacs2 works quite well.
On gentoo that is stored in /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/emacs2.map.gz.
(The .map file is plain text.)  That said, you might prefer "uk".
Either way, though, I suspect that you'll find the quail input methods
to be the only good way to enter non-ascii on the console.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6