Re: Emacs scrolling past the end of buffer

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: Emacs scrolling past the end of buffer
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 13:01:55 +0100

Antoine Levitt skrev 2012-02-09 11:06:
09/02/12 00:32, Deniz Dogan
A good compromise, in my opinion, would be to basically _not_ "scroll
to bottom" on every single character insertion.  With the addition of
the post-display hook, when the user hits RET, the message will be
sent, ERC will display that message, the new hook will run, and it
will be recentered to the bottom again.  This method is something I've
personally used in rcirc for quite some time and I'm very happy with
it.

But then it sometimes happen that you see past the end of the buffer
when scrolling (the horror!). I'd rather have excessive CPU consumption.

Fair enough! This makes me wonder, though, whether there is any other useful hook we can use in combination with my suggestion, to properly recenter whenever point goes outside of the currently viewed part of the buffer.