Re: need help with certificate bundles for ALL the platforms Emacs suppo

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: need help with certificate bundles for ALL the platforms Emacs supports
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 08:06:31 -0500

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 20:53:13 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 09:16:16 -0500
>>
>> I need a list of possible cert bundle locations on all the platforms
>> Emacs supports, or methods to retrieve them.  Please send to me directly
>> or follow up here.  The assembled list will help me greatly.
>> [...]
>> W32 doesn't seem to have a system cert bundle and getting it from any
>> specific browser is unreliable, but any suggestions are welcome.

EZ> I think you are wrong about that.  Where did you get this information?

Web searching, e.g. the URL I cited in the post you quoted.  I'd love to
be wrong!

EZ> Can you show me an example of a "cert bundle", i.e. what kind of
EZ> directory hierarchy, if any, is there, and what files can one find
EZ> there?  Examples of how files are named and their contents will help.
EZ> I need this to compare with what I think is a cert bundle on my
EZ> Windows box (if I'm not mistaken).

Certificate bundles are usually in a .pem format (I've also seen .crt,
and unfortunately there are at least 4 different formats).

On W32, I know the MSysGit environment has a cert bundle (inherited from
curl/libcurl and placed under /usr/bin IIRC), but I don't think there's
a generally available bundle.  They consist of hundreds of text blocks
like this:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIIDpDCCAoygAwIBAgIBATANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQUFADBjMQswCQYDVQQGEwJVUzEc
MMbHNYaz+ZZfRtsMRf3zUMNvxsNIrUam4SdHCh0Om7bCd39j8uB9Gr784N/Xx6ds
sPmuujz9dLQR6FgNgLzTqIA6me11zEZ7
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

which are simply individual .pem files, concatenated.  In Debian/Ubuntu
there is a directory structure under /etc/ssl, but Mozilla's bundle, for
instance, is offered as simply a monolithic download.

The question is how to obtain one reliably, and all my research leads me
to believe that W32 doesn't have it.

Ted