RE: What version of Emacs still requires '*' in defcustom docs?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: What version of Emacs still requires '*' in defcustom docs?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 07:42:26 -0800

> > The practice of giving the docs of defcustoms a leading '*' doesn't
> > seem to want to die out. For those of you doing this, what
> > version of Emacs are you trying to support that requires this?
> >
> > Eg GNU Emacs has not needed this since at least 21.1 (see
> > user-variable-p).
>
> FWIW, I intend to convert user-variable-p into an alias for
> custom-variable-p after the release.

So `set-variable' will be broken for user variables defined using `defvar' with
`*'.  Or do you plan to modify `custom-variable-p' so it recognizes those as
well?  In which case we will lose the distinction between the two kinds of user
variable.

In addition to providing no such details, you gave no reason for the proposed
change.  What for?  Why is it important to make such a change?