bug with the GNU ELPA debbugs-gnu.el package or with my settings?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: bug with the GNU ELPA debbugs-gnu.el package or with my settings?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:52:50 -0500

When I try to send a control message, I get the error:

funcall: Symbol's function definition is void: smptmail-send-it

which is caused by `debbugs-gnu-send-control-message', line:

      (funcall send-mail-function)

I put (debug send-mail-function) in the function and it is
`smtpmail-send-it'.  In addition, when I replaced the funcall with
(smtpmail-send-it), things worked.  So I'm not sure what's going on, and
if this is a bug with debbugs-gnu.el or with my settings.  I thought
normally (function) was equivalent to (funcall variable-with-function-symbol)

Thanks
Ted