Re: Possessive apostrophe with singular nouns ending in "s"

From: chad
Subject: Re: Possessive apostrophe with singular nouns ending in "s"
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:47:05 -0800

On Feb 23, 2012, at 12:51 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It seems the opinion is divided. If I read between the words there, the
>> editors seem to think that the "Chicago Manual Of Style" is not one
>> among the respected authorities.
>
> I think the reflexive impulse most educated people have these days is
> "whatever you do, don't do what's in Chicago".  Unless Chicago happens
> to have it right by coincidence.  Even a stopped clock.

That's funny, because my wife is a professional editor, taking an editing class
for a brush-up/certificate, and the class teaches them to use CMS by default.
This class includes working professional editors of various types in
newspapers, technical, fiction, and corporate fields, primarily in the US.
Maybe the divide is NA/Europen?

I gather that a lot of the "don't use CMS" feedback stems from CMS 12, while
version 16 came out last year.

I believe that Emacs's is the recommended formatting, but the recommended style
is to avoid that construction most of the time regardless.

Hope that helps,
*Chad