Re: lexical-binding questions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: lexical-binding questions
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 11:19:55 -0400

> Now we have lexical-binding in Emacs, it could be nice to implement the
> declare features of CL. (inline too)

Just because CL has lexical-scoping doesn't mean that Elisp added
lexical scoping to be more like CL ;-)

Regarding `inline': I hate defsubst and would rather encourage people
not to use it, because Elisp supports much too poorly (it doesn't do
what you want when you try to use ELP, trace-function, debug-on-entry,
defadvice, etc...).

A much more productive patch would be to speed up function calls from
byte-code functions to byte-code functions by performing them without
leaving the byte-code interpreter (currently the code does a ridiculous
dance where the byte-code interpreter takes the args from the byte-code
stack, passes them to Ffuncall which calls funcall_lambda which then
calls exec_byte_code which sets up a new byte-code stack and copies the
args to this new stack, to finally run the destination byte-code).

        Stefan