Re: Proposal: window-system-version function

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal: window-system-version function
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 12:03:39 -0400

> This patch replaces global variable 'window-system-version' with the function
> which returns the window system version for the specified frame. An obvious
> reason for this is to have correct results when Emacs is running with both
> TTY and X frames.

The general idea of the patch is right, the implementation looks OK as
well, but I have one major issue with it: why do we ever need to know
the "version" of the window-system?

I've only ever seen it used to display diagnostic data, i.e. to
help debug some problem, but I've never found it useful when debugging.

IOW, I'd much rather mark window-system-version as obsolete.

        Stefan