Re: Release tags

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Release tags
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 22:55:52 +0800

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> No use of a tag that I have ever seen was for a revision. It was for the
>> state of the source tree at that point in time.
>
> A revision _is_ a state of the tree at one point in time.

Except when you merge that revision onto another branch, some here
seemed to be saying the tag would be merged with it, which makes no
sense to me, because after the merge what gets checked in should be a
different revision (even though the patch from the previous revision to
the new one is the same between branches, the content of the tree is
different).