Re: Emacs seems awfully unstable on OS X lately

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: Emacs seems awfully unstable on OS X lately
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:37:49 +0200

On Sep 14, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> Do other OS X users experience stability problems on OS X with recent
> builds from trunk?

Yes.  I've been using the Mac Port for the past week or so because of it. I
plan to run it under gdb and see if I can track it down, but I haven't had time
yet.  I'm not sure when I will.

> I built an emacs from current trunk on September 6. It had a tendency
> to get stuck in garbage collection and needing to be killed,
> especially when I tried sending emails with large-ish attachments (on
> the order of a megabyte or two).
>
> So I built a new one yesterday. It is even more unstable, just
> crashing randomly in the main event loop.

I see that here too.

> So for the time being, I have reverted to a version that I build in
> late July, which seems stable enough.

If you can bisect that would probably be helpful.

> I am not sure that I have enough data to send a meaningful bug report.
> Are the OS provided crash logs useful? I have read somewhere that gdb
> doesn't work with the output of the current crop of Apple's compilers,
> so I haven't even tried using that.

I'm on 10.6, but gdb seems to work fine for me.

> I'll try to gather more information on these crashes if needed, but
> then I could use some tips on how to do it. But if others are seeing
> these crashes and are actively working on fixing them, I'll just wait.

I certainly wouldn't wait for me to fix it. :-)

-Ivan