Re: The emacs_backtrace "feature"

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: The emacs_backtrace "feature"
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 00:24:18 -0700

On 09/30/2012 12:14 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Sorry, I don't follow: the eassert macro includes the file name and
> the line number in the message it prints

Stefan's talking about the macro (or function) F that invokes eassert,
not eassert itself.  If F is a macro, eassert outputs the line
number of F's caller.  If F is a function, it outputs F's line number.
If F is small, he'd often rather see the former.

Since the complaint is about the addr2line hassle I expect the
problem could be addressed by doing the addr2line work inside Emacs.
In the long run that would be better than forcing the use of macros
rather than functions purely because of crash debug output.