RE: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (`C-g')
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 07:03:43 -0700

> If you're trying to avoid having unsuccessful searches

See previous reply.  It's about successful searches that you abandon with C-g.
It's not about unsuccessful searches.

> crowd successful ones out of he history, the right solution
> is presumably to have two rings, one for successful searches,
> one for unsuccessful ones,

With the correction of "unsuccessful" to successful but abandoned, yes, that is
one of the possibilities that was discussed.

Discussed so far are these possibilities (there may have been others too):

1. Save (only) the last such search.
   Make it yankable using M-g.  This was my proposal.

2. Save all such searches.  Put them all new search rings
   (simple, regexp).  I mentioned this as another possibility.

3. Save all such searches.  Put them all on the usual search
   (simple, regexp) rings.  This was a counter proposal.

> This has the benefit that it is easy to have two keybindings
> to navigate each ring independently, if you so desire.

Agreed.  Apart from your "merging", this is #2 above.  The main advantage, from
my point of view, is that it leaves the traditional rings unpolluted by
abandoned searches.  #2 is an extension of #1: it saves all abandoned
(successful) searches, not just the last one.