Re: C-g from Isearch (was: Isearch: retrieve last successful search stri

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: C-g from Isearch (was: Isearch: retrieve last successful search string from when you quit (`C-g'))
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 08:37:49 +0200

>  > documented in (info "(emacs)Error in Isearch"), `C-g' from Isearch
>  > does this:
>  > * If the current search is successful, `C-g' cancels the Isearch.
>  > * Else, `C-g' restores the last succesful search string.
>
> In XEmacs, this is useless duplication.  Deleting the character has
> the same effect some rather large fraction of the time, as it's
> unusual that multiple not found characters are typed.

AFAIK, this is true also for GNU Emacs.  Typing <backspace> in Isearch
restores the previous Isearch state.  So I agree with you: `C-g'
duplicates this feature (almost - `C-g' restores the last successful
state) at the expense of annoying those user who expect this command
to its usual job (cancel the current command).

>  > And I, like Nix, don't like the second case.  I would like C-g to
>  > _always_ cancel the Isearch.
>  >
>  > So IMO this behavior should be configurable.
>
> I'm tempted to just change XEmacs's behavior to "always cancel" and
> see how many cries of outrage can be induced.

I've done that in my init file:
  (define-key isearch-mode-map [?\C-g] 'isearch-cancel)

--
Dani Moncayo