Re: search files with conversion but fundamental mode, no handlers, no f

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: search files with conversion but fundamental mode, no handlers, no file-local vars
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 16:42:52 -0500

> Brief testing with `insert-file-contents' now seems not to show some
> of the problems I encountered before.  But I have not tried cases
> where file handlers might kick in etc.  At least I can see that
> fundamental mode is used, which is good (one of the main things).

insert-file-contents does not pay attention to the mode at all, it's
really more like `insert'.

But yes, it does obey file-name-handlers, which is probably what you
want for Tramp files, so the only potential trouble it might introduce
is for encrypted or compressed files (tho whether it introduces
problems depends on what you want to do in the case of such files).

        Stefan