Re: set-file-extended-attributes and backups

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: set-file-extended-attributes and backups
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:31:23 +0100

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I think this problem is not Windows-specific.  So I'm asking here:
> does it make sense to fail backup-buffer and backup-buffer-copy just
> because set-file-extended-attributes fails?

Probably not. We should follow coreutils and just issue a warning if we
can't copy the acl (which is the default behavior of `mv' and also `cp' if
`--preserve=all' is used).

> I think we should ignore such errors in these cases, and propose the
> changes below.

I think that is too radical, it should display a warning so that the user
can decide what to do. Since Emacs only makes a backup the first time you
save, the warning shouldn't be too annoying.