RE: Unuseful keybindings

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Unuseful keybindings
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:04:41 -0800

> This is how I achieve maximized frame on startup.
>
> 1. Start Emacs
> 2. Maximize the frame by hand.
> 3. Save window configuration (or is it frame configuration?) to a
>    register.
> 4. pp-eval the register.
> 5. Identify the height and width of the maximized frame.
> 6. Dump it in my .emacs.

Why not just put `maximize-frame' in `emacs-startup-hook'?

I don't know what the current frame-maximizing or full-screen support is for
`emacs -Q'.  And yes, I realize that a maximized frame is not the same as
full-screen.

But `maximize-frame' is available here, at least:
overview: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FullScreen#frame-cmds.el
code:     http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/frame-cmds.el

> This method works flawlessly.

Whatever.

> That said, I will say vote for leaving F-Keys undefined and ubound,
> say for F1.

Good.

Was that "same for F1"?  "save (except) for F1"?
Do you want to unbind `f1'?

> I am surprised that people are not talking about F2.

At least it is bound to a prefix key, not wasted on a single command that is not
repeatable.  There are 4 key bindings for that prefix key (but only 3 commands).

But yes, I would probably rather see the two-column stuff moved to a
harder-to-use prefix key.  But I say that out of ignorance - I don't use it or
know much about it, and because that prefix is used for only 3 commands.