beginning-on-line oddness

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: beginning-on-line oddness
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:29:07 +0100

Gnus has a mode where it uses that there "ellipsis" thing to hide
summary lines.

`beginning-of-line' now doesn't move to the beginning of the line, but
to the beginning of one of the hidden lines, apparently.

So I thought this might do the trick:

    (while (not (bolp))
      (forward-line 0))

Nope.

But if I do that, and then do it again, then it works.  That is, if I
let the display loop run a bit, then it gets past the hidden line
ending.  Or something.

The documentation of `beginning-of-line' looks to be written in a
strange, foreign language that I can't make heads or tails of.
"Fields"?  What's a "field"?

So is this a bug or are we now supposed to replace all our
`beginning-of-line' calls with something new that makes point go to the
beginning of the line?

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen