Re: File watch support in autorevert.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File watch support in autorevert.el
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 13:28:36 +0200

> From: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 23:43:56 +0100
>
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Try:
> >
> >   while sleep 60; do echo hello; done >> ~/tmp/123
> >
> > Look ma, no close!
> >
> > But you don't need a script: just try auto-revert-mode on a log written
> > by syslogd.
> >
> > Admittedly, these cases are presumably clients of auto-revert-tail-mode,
> > but auto-revert-mode should handle them correctly.
>
> Should be OK now for all 3 modes: global-auto-revert-mode,
> auto-revert-mode and auto-revert-tail-mode (support for the last one is
> just committed). For the inotify case, I've changed to IN_MODIFY as
> supervised event. For w32notify, I have added size as proposed by Eli.

Thanks.  I tried auto-revert-mode and auto-revert-tail-mode on
MS-Windows, and they both seem to work as expected (after I fixed the
minor issues described in my other mail).

I see only one problem: if you manually "M-x revert-buffer RET", a new
file watch is added, although the old one is still active.  AFAICS,
you rely on the watch descriptor local var be non-nil for avoiding
this, so perhaps revert-buffer reverts that variable as well?  Or is
this a Windows-only problem?