Re: File watch support in autorevert.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: File watch support in autorevert.el
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:14:36 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Windows is at advantage here, since it watches the entire directory.
> So when the new "foo" is created and gets updated, the notifications
> come in and the file is auto-reverted.
>
> Perhaps the inotify implementation should watch the parent directory
> instead of the file.

I was thinking about, but I have no idea on performance issues when
notifications come in from all files in a large directory. OTOH, it
might ease the implementation, becauses we would have the same scenario
for inotify and w32notify.

One problem just now is that we expect one watch descriptor per
buffer. If we watch several files in the same directory, this approach
might fail. Will check.

Best regards, Michael.