RE: Timer scheduling and cancel-timer

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Timer scheduling and cancel-timer
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:39:48 -0800

> > I have no idea whether this is relevant, but I'll mention
> > it, as it might be.
>
> Sounds unrelated.
>
> > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument
> >                                integer-or-marker-p t)
> >   #[nil ...
> >   ad-Advice-show-paren-function(#[nil...
> >   show-paren-function()
> >   apply(show-paren-function nil)
> >   #[nil ... [timer apply 5 6] 4]()
> >   timer-event-handler([t 0 0 125000 t show-paren-function
> >                       nil idle 0])
>
> Until recently timer-event-handler just silently dropped all errors
> signaled by timers, whereas I recently changed it to turn them into
> messages (a nd to show the backtrace if debug-on-error is non-nil).
>
> So maybe this error has been present for ever but just got unnoticed
> until now.  The "#[nil ...]" seems to be the unadvised body of
> show-paren-function, so the error apparently comes from within
> show-paren-function.

I see.  Since this happened for the first time yesterday, and it happened once
today, I thought it might be related, but your explanation makes sense also.  I
was using a build from 12/31 until 1/18, so if you made your change during that
period that too would explain why I see the problem for the first time now.