Re: bug#13141: please review bug #13141

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: bug#13141: please review bug #13141
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 12:26:21 +0900

Not Ccing <address@hidden> per Glenn's request.

Dmitry Gutov writes:

 > I usually delete most of it, because the default text looks messy, and I
 > don't like sending emails that look untidy. Also, it's harder to find
 > the actual report description if it's surrounded by auto-generated text.

Ah, I forgot about that.  Steve Youngs fixed that for us ages ago.
M-x report-xemacs-bug now pops up *two* buffers.  One is a mail
composition buffer which looks like this for message mode users:

    To: XEmacs Beta <address@hidden>
    Subject: [Bug: 21.5-b32] Nothing works in the latest beta
    --text follows this line--
    Dear Bug Team!

    System Info to help track down your bug:
    ---------------------------------------

followed by the generated information.  The other buffer is a help
buffer explaining good style and desired content for bug reports,
appended below in full just in case it has useful ideas.  (Of course
it is tainted from a legal viewpoint, but it wouldn't be hard to
rewrite in a more GNU-y style.)  The help buffer can be manipulated
with the usual commands for such buffers, or suppressed completely.

Steve

This bug report will be sent to the XEmacs Development Team,
not to your local site managers!!

The working language of XEmacs development is English.  Bug reports in
English will be dealt with most promptly and most effectively.  However, the
XEmacs maintainers as a group speak most of the major Western languages and
Japanese, so if communicating in English is a problem for you, please feel
free to report your bug using one of those other languages.

Please describe as succinctly as possible:
        - What happened.
        - What you thought should have happened.
        - Precisely what you were doing at the time.

Also include a reliable recipe for triggering the bug, as well as
any C and lisp back-traces that you may have.
(setq stack-trace-on-error t), or (setq debug-on-error t) if you
are familiar with the debugger, to get a lisp back-trace.
To get a core file for the C back-trace on a GNU/Linux system do
'ulimit -c unlimited' in the shell prior to starting XEmacs.

Type C-c tab to visit in Info the XEmacs Manual section
about when and how to write a bug report,
and what information to supply so that the bug can be fixed.
Type SPC to scroll through this section and its subsections.

You are very welcome to scan through the bug report and remove any
potentially sensitive data.

Turn off this help buffer permanently by adding:

         (setq report-xemacs-bug-no-explanations t)

To your ~/.xemacs/init.el