Re: [cedet-eieio] Cleaning up the EIEIO namespace

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: [cedet-eieio] Cleaning up the EIEIO namespace
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:13:08 -0500

On 02/12/2013 05:10 PM, David Engster wrote:
Stefan Monnier writes:
Here is a patch that attempts to clean up part of the EIEIO namespace.
If you like it, please install it upstream, so it will get merged into
Emacs later on.  If you prefer, I can install it into Emacs directly and
you'll merge it later on upstream, of course.

Thank you for the patch. I know it cannot have been fun. :-)

Agreed.  Thanks for spending time on this.

[...]

As for the general direction of the cleanup: We did discuss this a bit
in the bug report you opened for it some time ago, and Eric stated that
he'd at least like to keep the CLOS-compatible names without having to
prefix everything with 'eieio-'. Your suggestion was to use the shorter
'cl-' prefix instead, and at least I think that is a good compromise. So
instead of using 'eieio-class-name', for instance, we'd rather use
'cl-class-name'. I don't know enough CLOS to see which other names are
affected by this (but I could easily look it up, of course).

I read through the patch, and tried to match up CLOS names that were affected by the rename.

For reference, here are some CLOS functions that were renamed in the patch:

class-name  -> eieio-class-name
http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/f_class_.htm

class-of (was alias to object-class)  -> obsoleted
http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/f_clas_1.htm

I didn't find anything else.

So on the whole, it didn't affect the CLOS functions much at all. Good Stuff.

Thanks!
Eric