Re: M-x rlogin

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: M-x rlogin
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:57:32 -0500

    Whether rlogin.el is obsolete, I dunno. You can use it with ssh by doing:

    emacs -Q --eval '(setq rlogin-program "slogin"
       rlogin-explicit-args (list "-t" "-t"))' -f rlogin

If its main use today would be with ssh, why have it use
rlogin by default?  We should change the default to ssh.
We might also want to rename it to M-x ssh.

(What is the practical difference between slogin and ssh?)

    Does this offer anything that M-x shell followed by ssh, or Tramp, doesn't?

I don't know about the comparison with the former.  Does Tramp
do remote login?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation