Re: About string header

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: About string header
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:47:54 -0500

> What does the "string header" mean here?  I had searched the manuals
> and source files in src/ but I didn't find anything useful.

Every string is made of 2 parts:
The first part is a "Lisp_String" struct of fixed size which holds:
- the size of the string (in bytes and in chars).
- a pointer to the string's text-properties (stored in an "intervals tree").
- a pointer to the second part.
The second part are the actual bytes of the string, which are stored
elsewhere (and can be relocated so as to compact the memory).
The "string header" is the first part.

        Stefan