Re: About PATH environment variable on OSX

From: Piotr Kalinowski
Subject: Re: About PATH environment variable on OSX
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 14:39:57 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> The way to this on newer OSX is to create /etc/launchd.conf and put
> something like:
>
> setenv PATH /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin
>
> in there.  I have not tried this myself.

I'm on Mac, and I can confirm that this is the way to go, if you want to
have correct PATH for applications that are not started from Terminal.
What you set in /etc/paths and similar will work for the shell
environment in Terminal, and applications started from there.

It is worth noting, that modifying PATH in this way requires you to
relog into graphical session. Actually, unless you run this manually
through launchctl, a full reboot might be required. I can't remember, if
that's the case.

Best regards,
Piotr Kalinowski

--
Intelligence is like a river: the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.