Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 18:35:55 -0400

> I thought the manual installation instructions were leftovers from the old
> ruby-mode. I was under the impression that since ruby-mode started using
> SMIE it's not a good idea to distribute it separately, since it might not
> behave appropriately on older Emacsen. Perhaps I'm wrong.

SMIE comes with Emacs since 23.4 and ruby-mode doesn't use SMIE:
I installed a rough first cut at what could become SMIE support, but
since I don't use Ruby, I probably won't do it myself and it looks like
noone's interested to pick up the work.

> That's unfortunate.  Files with tabs look like Christmas trees for most
> whitespace-mode users.

If they have nothing better to do than watch the lights of the Xmas
tree, it's their choice.  IOW I think the problem is that those users
should get a life.

>> * make use of `font-lock-negation-char-face` for !

Why have a special face for the negation char?  What's so special about
this char?

        Stefan