Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 23:06:38 +0300

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 21:50:42 +0200
> Cc: Vitalie Spinu <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> But since the other formats don't do scaling, they're aren't very
> user-friendly.  Nobody wants to look at a tiny corner of a picture.
> (Except under special circumstances.)  The default of all the Emacs
> image-viewing modes should be to rescale down to the frame or window
> size.  And only imagemagick does that.

How about taking out the ImageMagick code that does the scaling and
rolling it into Emacs?  How hard can that be?

Or maybe there's some other library out there that we could use to
roll our own image scaling code.  I don't believe for a moment that
ImageMagick is the only one that is able to pull that.

Point is, if the main reason to want ImageMagick is that we want
scaled images, why not have _just_ scaled images, and leave
ImageMagick to its enthusiasts?