Re: Sweeter Emacs Lisp

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Sweeter Emacs Lisp
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 13:09:47 +0200

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:

> You can (require 'cl-lib) to get it.
> It still can't be used in pre-loaded code, but that's the only
> restriction,

That's a policy, and not for technical reasons, is it?

The past two weeks, while hacking desktop.el, often I would've loved
to require 'cl-lib to use sequence functions. I didn't, because
desktop.el, though not pre-loaded, it is so commonly used that loading
cl-lib from it would be almost like forcing cl-lib into everybody's
Emacs.

Still, it is a bid sad to be forced to make that kind of decision. cl
contains tons of useful things.

OTOH, cl-lib is currently unconditionally required by 15 files (plus
emacs-lisp/cl*.el):

doc-view.el
edmacro.el
image-dired.el