Re: A significant slowdown calling font-lock-fontify-buffer from a hook

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: A significant slowdown calling font-lock-fontify-buffer from a hook
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 20:26:56 +0200

> Is the "calling from a hook" an important part of this issue?

Doing

  emacs -Q src/xdisp.c
  M-x font-lock-fontify-buffer <RET>

I don't see the slowdown.

> If so, why?

If you ask, why fails from the hook? I don't know. If the question is,
why do I run font-lock-fontify-buffer from a hook? I don't, but I run
column-marker-1 (from column-marker.el) which calls
font-lock-fontify-buffer.

> Is this a valid way of reproducing the slowdown?

No. If it were, you would notice it. I noticed it because suddenly
hung up.

> the current trunk calls a certain bunch of functions at least
> five-fold more times than Emacs 24.3.  Could that be the reason?

Perhaps. I'll look into it.

Thanks,

   Juanma