Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: imagemagic in image-mode and image-dired-thumbnail-mode?
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:26:45 -0400

> So the proposal is to rewrite all those transform functions into a
> consistent image transform api and move them into image.el. Then add
> interactive transformation commands to image-mode.el, iimage.el,
> image-dired.el, gnus etc that will rely on those.

That sounds good.

> Of course all the above will work only with imagemagick support.

Actually, I wonder if it can't be made to work for non-imagemagick
images: by operating on image-specs, it should be possible to make the
code do things like "extract the filename, pass the file to `convert'
and create a new image-spec for that temp file", while on imagemagick
images it would just fiddle with the paramters like :height.

        Stefan