Re: frame size&position woes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: frame size&position woes
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 18:52:55 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:40:49 +0200
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Admittedly, it's not easy to specify what the height should be in this
> > case.
>
> Which highlights that the usefulness of `frame-height' is relatively limited.

Is your problem, in practice, only with those weirdo frames that have
their tool bars and/or menu bars wrapped?  Or do you have problems
with the more "dull" use cases as well?

If the latter, can you describe the unsolved problem(s) you have in
that case?

> Honestly, at this point I'd rather have Emacs do one of these things,
> that the current "incredible shrinking frame" phenomenon with wrapping
> menus that I reported in another message.

People who wrap menus deserve that.

> I love how two simple requests: "Can I have the dimensions of that
> frame, please?" and "Can I create another frame with that very same
> metrics?" get so complex and GUI dependent answers.

It's not complex.  AFAIK, "(make-frame '((height . N)))" creates a
frame whose "(frame-height)" returns N plus the value returned by
tool-bar-lines-needed.  I expect the same to be true on X, with the
exception of a GTK build, where we might need to do something special.

Does this solve the problem with visible frames?  If not, what is
left?