Re: C-h r and Images

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: C-h r and Images
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 14:34:12 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Perhaps you don't have PNG support in that Emacs where you tried.

No, I tracked down the problem: the Fedora 19
GnuTLS documenation package omits /usr/share/info/gnutls-layers.png,
i.e., it's a packaging error for that distro.

I suppose this is another reason our documentation should
have alternative text for each image that conveys technical
information.  ASCII art is one approach, but for the blind
it's better to have a textual summary than to have ASCII art.

(Ubuntu 13.04 (derived from Debian) does package the image, but
it doesn't package the info files, just HTML.)

While we're on the topic of images, we should prefer
SVG to PNG for diagrams, as SVG scales better.