Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Updating the GNU ELPA package of AucTeX

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Updating the GNU ELPA package of AucTeX
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:00:39 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>>> No, because:
>>>
>>>    I'd very much prefer not having to run code from
>>>    the package itself.
>>>
>>> so I can't just run your makefile rule(s).
>>
>> Ok, I see.
>
> It is not clear to me why the act of importing a runnable version of
> AUCTeX into ELPA should be precluded from running a Makefile rule.  It
> is not like ELPA can directly access git repositories and extract
> whatever it wants, so the import will always involve explicit steps.

The new Git ELPA could have the savannah auctex repository as a
submodule, so there wouldn't be two individual auctex repositories that
need to me synchronized manually.

>> By omitting preview, that would be solved, too.
>
> preview-latex is an integral part of AUCTeX by now.  That involved
> moving files, dependencies, combining documentation and so on.
> Ripping it out of ELPA is not just going to be work, but is also not
> extremely likely to make people happy.

Stefan said that the additional auctex/preview/ directory was a problem
for the ELPA build procedure, so I suggested to have the ELPA auctex
package not contain it (the directory would still exist in the ELPA
auctex git submodule).  Then we could possibly have a separate
preview-latex ELPA package by just symlinking packages/preview-latex to
packages/auctex/preview/.  So I actually don't propose to rip preview
out of auctex, just to split it into two ELPA packages in order to cope
with the simplistic ELPA build procedure.

That said, I'm just trying to propose ideas without knowing about
feasibility.  I'm really far from an expert in how ELPA packages are
build, and neither do I know too much about auctex's build procedure.

So David (and Ralf), it would be great if you could jump in here.  We
definitively want to have current auctex ELPA packages which requires
having a copy of the auctex code in the ELPA repository and building it
with ELPA's simplistic build procedure.  But at the same time, the
auctex savannah repository and the auctex directory in ELPA shouldn't be
completely separate (possibly even with different directory structures)
so that synchronization becomes a nightmare.

Bye,
Tassilo