Re: Apropos emacs-intl-fonts & https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHebrew

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Apropos emacs-intl-fonts & https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHebrew
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 22:38:25 +0200

> From: Jambunathan K <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 01:50:38 +0530
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> The hebrew word that reads like English "Tit", that is "David" right?

Yes.

> You want the Hebrew table row be read in R2L manner and the English row
> down below correspond one to one with row above it.  (So the English
> cells would have a directional override.)

No, that won't work.  Directional override changes the directional
properties of individual _characters_, so "Hello" will be displayed as
"olleH", which is not what you want.

What you want is to cause _words_ be laid out right to left, even
though normally 2 juxtaposed English words would be laid out left to
right, in the direction they are read.  For that, use the RLM
(RIGHT-TO-LEFT MARK) between "Hello" and "David".  That's one solution
suggested by the ELisp manual.

> How would I quickly inspect directional markers in a text.

Why would you need to?  These control characters are supposed to be
invisible (the Unicode Standard actually advises to remove them from
text on display, but it was un-Emacsy, so I left them in).

I suggest to tell what problem are you trying to solve by displaying
the directional controls, rather than asking how to display them.
(And I already answered that question anyway: customize
glyphless-char-display-control.)