Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115058: * lisp/iswitchb.el (iswitchb-mode): Mar

From: Josh
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115058: * lisp/iswitchb.el (iswitchb-mode): Mark ob
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 17:32:17 -0800

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> You misunderstood.  It is iswitchb's obsolescence that surprises me,
>> and iswitchb that those few people I mentioned prefer.
>
> Then, please make a bug-report explaining why they prefer iswitchb-mode
> over icomplete-mode.  The two are not 100% identical, but it should be
> possible to configure icomplete-mode's behavior to be pretty close to
> iswitchb-mode.

They can do it themselves if they are so moved.  As I hope I've made
clear by now, my main concern is the question of whether iswitchb's
successor ought to be icomplete or ido.  I have put forward an
argument that it should be ido based on the fact that it appears to
be far and away what users prefer, and by going this route we would
maximize the number of users who were satisfied with the default
completion mechanism.  With my argument I offered evidence, and I
believe and hope that one of the many here who also frequent #emacs
and keep their own logs would swiftly correct me if I have misstated
the reality.  If I have not, is there some countervailing argument
or evidence you believe tips the scale in favor of annointing
icomplete, or are you just asserting maintainer's privilege because
you personally prefer icomplete?