Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:19:06 +0200

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 14:38:12 +0900
>
>  > A popup frame also obscures the window you are working in, which is
>  > also a nuisance.
>
> Yeah, we've never fixed that.  Of course the developer can position
> the popup by hand, but that sucks, too.  But for something the size of
> a toolip (typically with relatively small font size, too) and no frame
> decorations, it doesn't bug me anywhere as much, YMMV.

Current tooltips are very small: 3-4 short lines at most.  If they are
used for completion, they will need to become much larger, and will
probably need scroll bars.  This begins to sound like a real frame.

> If you've got transparency working, maybe that would be worth trying
> (transparent background, alpha=.5 foreground?)

I find that I'm annoyed by transparency: it makes it hard for me to
catch the stuff at a glance.  But maybe it's just a thing that comes
with age.