Re: Emacs will never be a WYSIWYG-editor and should not try to

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Emacs will never be a WYSIWYG-editor and should not try to
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 16:01:27 +0100

() Karl Voit <address@hidden>
() Sun, 24 Nov 2013 12:11:53 +0100

   I do claim that you can not think of turning GNU/Emacs in a WYSIWYG
   text processing machine without multi-threading.

Emacs provides concurrency via child processes.  I don't think that
model is incompatible w/ adding features to support a "WYSIWYG text
processing machine".  So, no, it is not true that i cannot think so.

To support the argument in the subject line, you might say instead that
Emacs has traditionally leaned very far from exploiting the features
that allow persisting to disk of in-memory-user-visible representations
of text, to crown some file format as "native".

That is, no one has really pushed the limits (played *hard*) with
‘write-region-annotate-functions’ and faces, together, and furthermore
championed any particular conglomeration of conventions as a packaged
solution.

You might argue that because this has not happened (and due also to
other technical and social factors), it will never happen.  And you'd be
right, up until the moment Someone does indeed step up and just do it,
bugs in teeth be damned (i equate playing *hard* to riding a motorcycle
very fast, w/ nothing protecting the rider's ear-to-ear grin from the
onslaught of wind and destiny -- a memory i wouldn't mind reliving)...

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502