Re: trunk r115265: * lisp/vc/vc-dispatcher.el (vc-log-edit): Setup the S

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: trunk r115265: * lisp/vc/vc-dispatcher.el (vc-log-edit): Setup the Summary&Author headers.
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 18:02:16 +0200

On 30.11.2013 04:29, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Note that a solution that applies only to ChangeLog wouldn't help for
the `elpa' branch.  And hopefully at some point it won't help for
`emacs' either because we'll have finally rid ourselves of the
ChangeLog files.

Ok, good point. If other contributors have no new suggestions, I'll be content with a user option.

We could easily highlight Summary specially after the Nth character.
[ Not sure why it should be 50, and that number might need to
   depend on the backend, but other than that, I don't see
   any particular difficulty.  ]

50 is just a convention, so it shouldn't be inherently different for any other backend. And a safe-local user option will allow users to set it per project.

Actually, now that I've checked, `C-c C-k' in both `message-mode' and
git-commit-mode' that Magit uses kill the buffer after doing some cleanup,
not bury it. Would you be fine with that?

Seems a bit pointless since C-x k (and kill-this-buffer) works as well
for *VC-Log*, AFAIK.

Why do we have `message-kill-buffer', `rcirc-multiline-minor-cancel' and `org-kill-note-or-show-branches'?

As I see it, they mean "abort the current action, clean up its data, restore the previous window configuration". Having a similar command with the same binding in log-edit would be natural. Among other things, it would delete the *log-edit-files* window and quit-window on the current buffer (maybe deleting the window as a result).

We can go against the similar commands and refrain from killing the buffer, but why keep it? We can also save the aborted commit message to log-edit-comment-ring.

I think it can look better than using a separate window.  But then again,
it's how other editors do it, so it might just be more familiar.

I used a separate window because it seemed easier, avoiding the usual
problems with display-only-text or with text-that-will-disappear, which
both can lead to surprising behaviors for the unsuspecting user.

Ok, I can work with either approach.