Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 21:05:10 -0500

>> 1. How to pick the first item on the list without typing a lot? I want
>> to type a substring RET to pick the most recent buffer. With
>> icomplete-mode I type t e s t TAB and get test*.
> Why type TAB?

Oh, I think I understand.  You should hit C-j to select the
first item.  If you prefer TAB, then do

  (define-key icomplete-minibuffer-map [?\t]
              'minibuffer-force-complete-and-exit)

>> 2. How to quickly rotate through the list? I want to type t e s t C-s
> C-. and C-,  (the logic behind those is that , and . are just below <
> and > in the US keyboard).

Of course, you can also use C-s and C-r with something like:

  (define-key icomplete-minibuffer-map [?\C-s]
              'icomplete-forward-completions)
  (define-key icomplete-minibuffer-map [?\C-r]
              'icomplete-backward-completions)

-- Stefan