Re: sRGB color support in NS port

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: sRGB color support in NS port
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 22:19:31 +0200

On Friday, December 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Jan Djärv wrote:
Hello.

From: Steve Purcell <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 18:04:46 +0000
Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>

On 20 Dec 2013, at 17:41, Bozhidar Batsov <address@hidden> wrote:

Some time ago Steve Purcell reported an issue with hex colour rendering on OS X (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2011-05/msg00077.html). While nothing was changed in Emacs, many OS X users apply a patch similar to this one https://gist.github.com/purcell/3858136 (an older version of the patch is used by homebrew) to get the desired behaviour. I wonder if we cannot finally include the aforementioned patch or conditionnaly allow the use sRGB colour via a build option (like —with-srgb).

That would be great, and I’d be happy to do whatever is necessary to help this become a reality, e.g. contributor agreements etc.

The patch is just 4 lines, so it doesn't need any legal paperwork.

My understanding is that everyone who cares about colour accuracy on OS X builds his Emacs with an sRGB patch of some sort.

Your understanding is not fact.

As for making this a build option, I don’t even think the non-sRGB colours should be an option on OS X, though I can’t speak for the whole NS platform.

It must be an option. The patch uses colorWithSRGBRed, which isn't availiable on OSX < 10.7.
An option will do. Or maybe this could be automatically enabled for anyone using OS X 10.7+ (which would be the vast majority of OS X users). I can’t think
of a reason why someone who could use the sRGB colours would opt not to do so.
sRGBColorSpace isn't available on OSX 10.4, which Emacs still supports.
Are you proposing ditching earlier OSX versions than 10.7?
This is obviously not on the table since 10.5 was the last version to support PowerPC and I guess some people are still using Power Macs.
Jan D.